Saturday, May 2, 2009

Spring 2009 Update


(Felicita & Me at Banquet... Middle School Destination ImagiNation... Suzy & Me Back together at CAG!...More pics available at: GuatePics)

The RAIN always comes on so quickly! It's amazing to me how we go from the dry season to the rainy one in a matter of just a few hours. While I'm enjoying the water for the yard and plants, I have been quickly reminded how long it takes to line dry clothes this time of year!

With only two weeks of regular classes left, the rainy season isn't the only thing that has come on so quickly!! How it got to be this time of year already, I'll never understand.

Here are some highlights from the last few weeks:

Easter being my favorite time of year, I again helped organize Union Church's Sunrise Service held at CAG. The weather was nice with just enough sun to keep us warm out there at daybreak. The 70 folks in attendance this year were treated to wonderful music from a visiting choir from Sweden.

Our Middle School Destination ImagiNation team went to the National Tournament on April 18. There were 40-some teams competing in all; in our category there were six. The kids showed amazing teamwork and graciousness (unlike anything I've ever actually seen IN CLASS... :) and brought home a SECOND PLACE finish!!! I'm so proud of them for all of their hard work and the wonderful witness they each put forth while competing. I've already been asked to expand the program to include a High School team for next year! But I'll need some extra adult hands to pull that off!! PRAYERS that others will follow the call to help!

This past week, one of my very dear friends, Suzy Leonard, returned to Guatemala to attend the wedding of another friend, Rene Gonzalez. It was so great to have her around the house and CAG again for a few days. Suzy is one of the main reasons I pursued my ministry at CAG. And she and I team-taught sixth grade language arts last year. She is dearly missed now that she's back in the States, and I feel so blessed to have been able to spend even a short time with her again. She's now back in Indiana where she helps run a year-round adventure camp. PRAYERS that this new position will allow her many opportunities to share Christ with others!!

In these last two weeks of classes, I will again be undertaking assessing the reading skills of all kids (grades K-6) at school. It's a daunting task, but one I take with great seriousness. While most kids at CAG don't struggle academically, those who do need the extra love and support that I can provide through the Reading Services Program. At any other school in Guatemala, they would not receive such specialized services. Knowing this is one important reason that I choose to continue on in my mission here. PRAYERS that I will make wise decisions in helping to educate the kids of other missionaries serving here.

The other big event taking place at this time is the taking over the the school tienda by the Junior Class. The tienda is the school store, run by the Senior Class to help serve the school community during break, lunch, and after school. As the seniors are on their way out, it is now our turn to start managing this small business. At this point, I think the class advisors are more concerned with this than the kids are. But that is probably because we have seen the behind-the-scenes of it all. To get warmed up, the juniors will be "in charge" these last two weeks of school. PRAYERS for a smooth transition.

Other events at school recently have included High School Banquet, Night of Excellence, the Elementary Spring Concert, Student Art Show, International Fair, and the Spring Sports Banquet. Still to come are Baccalaureate, the High School Spring Concert, and, of course, Graduation.

On the church front, I am putting together a special presentation for our Mother's Day Brunch to be held this coming Saturday, May 9. The topic is "Generations in the Church". Researching this topic has been intriguing, and I am excited to be able to share what I've found with other ladies of all generations! PRAYERS that the information shared will help to bring us closer together.

No comments: