Wednesday, November 10, 2010

The Focus of Harvest Fair

I love Fall!! I miss Fall in the US, but I love it here. Even if I don't get to see the spectacular color show of the changing leaves, or feel the crisp autumn air, or wear my Packers sweatshirt while cooking up a batch of chili to enjoy during a Sunday afternoon game, Fall here gives me something even better: Harvest Fair! Each year at this time I am reminded of why I serve where and how I do. And, as I am usually caught up in the day-to-day dealings of ministering, I always need (and am thankful for) this special annual reminder.

We've just put on another successful Harvest Fair at Christian Academy of Guatemala. In the grand scheme or Fall festivals, it probably wouldn't win any awards. It isn't the biggest or best harvest fest I've ever attended. It doesn't have the best costumes or games or prizes I've ever seen. The food is pretty good, and the fellowship is comforting. But placed next to similar events back in the States, it's just another Fall festival. At CAG, Harvest Fair is an annual event organized by the school's student council and run by the secondary classes. It's always based around a theme (this year: Alice in Wonderland), and takes weeks of preparation, both in and out of school. And while all of this preparation is going on, I am generally worried, stressed, and frustrated. In the end, however, it always turns out just fine. So what's the big deal then? Well, for me, Harvest Fair always brings back the real "why" behind my ministry here: missionary kids.

During my time of being a missionary to the missionaries, I have encountered and endured challenges and ridicule, both from others and myself, in regard to the fact that perhaps what I'm doing is not a "real" ministry ... is not really "missions." But when I step back and look at an event like Harvest Fair, I KNOW that it is. Here's why: the children I am so blessed to teacher, mentor, love, and serve at CAG are here because their parents made a choice to leave behind the familiarity and comfort of home to come and serve others. While most of these kids would tell you that they are happy here, they would also tell you about missing friends and events (like a Fall festival) back home. They are here honoring their parents' Call, which may or may not be their own. They are sacrificing a "normal" childhood so that others may benefit from the service of their families here in Guatemala. And it is satisfying to be able to give back to them even something as simple as Harvest Fair.

In my Freshman class alone, I serve families from the following ministries:

University Bible Fellowship (pastoring)
World Vision Seminary (pastoral education)
Cathedral of Faith (church planting)
Advancing the Ministries of the Gospel (medical work, feeding and education centers)
My Father's House (missions hosting, building, medical work, pastoring)
Wycliff (audio and video ministries)
Zion Fellowship (pastoring and Bible studies)

When I consider the hundreds (and likely thousands) of lives touched by just these ministries, it brings my ministry of providing educational support (including helping to put on a Fall festival) to the children of these families into a greater perspective; and my focus is again made clear. I have been called to serve those who serve others. And that is worth recognizing, praising, and focusing on EVERY day of EACH season!! Happy Fall!!! :)

No comments: